Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Best Summer of My Life

It all started on a whim. I had taught swimming the summer before, learned that I hated little kids but loved the lifestyle. My best friend Ben had been talking for two years about his job at the Lovettsville Pool, and I would always just think, I've never even been to Lovettsville, why would I want to work there? He finally convinced me, and off to the job fair we went. After meeting his boss, waiting a few weeks, I got the word, the job of lifeguard at Lovettsville pool was mine. Little did I know that it would kickstart the best summer of my young life.
My first day was the day after Prom, and I was a little hesitant. Almost instantly I felt connected, like I'd worked there my whole life. The people were friendly, and even though my first day I wasnt working with my best friend, I felt the comfortablity of having a best friend in the room. Within a few weeks, these people were like family, we were joking, playing pranks, listening to stories, and occasionally working. I did not expect to get this close with my co-workers, but it just kept getting better.
Towards the middle of the summer, I realized this was the most comfortable i've ever felt with a group of people. I felt I could sit down and talk to almost any of them, and they would listen. One in particular developed into who I now call one of my best friends. We bonded over my love life, and the friendship kept developing long after most thought it would.
Throughout the rest of the summer, whether it was Cici's dinner dates, or parties in basements, we all grew together as a family.
Then the inevitable started to happen, the sun set on our glorious summer, and people started leaving for college. I started later than the rest, so I had to experience each tearful last day, each promise of visits and phone calls, and each last look goodbye until hopefully next year. When I left to start that new chapter of my life, I knew that I was leaving a little bit behind in the guard station of lovettsville pool until next year.
Thus ended the best summer of my life, full of parties, new friends, new relationships and a little bit of tradgedy, but all learning experiences. Nobody knows who is coming back this summer, but even if every single person from last year returned (which they're not), I have my doubts that this summer, or any summer in the near future or far, could top the summer of 2009.

1 comment:

  1. 1) i took that spongebob picture, and therefore i am awesome.
    2) i'm glad i was apart of the best summer of your life.
    3) i love you, best friend!

    ReplyDelete