Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Freshman Year

As I wrap up my first year of college, i feel it necessary to reflect on how i've grown and developed. Looking forward from that first day of school, when i never thought i would get to where i am now, i realize this year has taught me more about myself than any other experience in my life.
That first day after my parents dropped me off was the scariest day of my life. ABC family and the disney channel have romanticized college so kids think that by day three you'll have a solid group of friends and be enjoying all the perks of college. that was a lie. College is all about putting yourself out there, out of your element. I had always prided myself in being outgoing and a people person, but that was truly tested that first week. after trying to force a few friendships, i finally found a few friends from home. i wanted to avoid falling back on friends from home, but their situation was a lot better than mine. My friend jimmy and reese had a much cooler dorm, with people who would actually talk to them. I honestly know 4 people in my hallway, and those are close friends. with the reconnection of high school friends, i really began to become myself in college. i was able to laugh, talk and connect with a large group of friends. it took weeks, probably months, but i finally found that solid group of friends i had been searching for.
With my first semester ending in a few days, i look back at all the memories that i hope to never forget. I've learned so much about who i am, made tons of mistakes, skipped a few classes, partied with great friends and regret nothing. college isnt just about learning in the classroom, its about learning who you really are, and about the person you'll become.

No comments:

Post a Comment